17. dæg þæs Æfterran Geola
Jump to navigation Jump to search
17 Æfterra Ȝēola is se seofontēoða dæȝ þæs ȝēares on þǣre Gregoriscan ȝerīmbēċ. Heonan sind 348 belīfendra daga (349 in hlīepȝēarum).
Belimpas[adiht | adiht fruman]
- 1562 - Francland recognized þā Huguenotas under the Edict of St. Germain.
- 1648 - Englalandes Long Parliament passes the Vote of No Address, breaking off negotiations mid Charles I cyninge and thereby setting the scene for the second phase of the Englisc Ingefeoht.
- 1746 - Charles Edward Stuart, "Bonnie Prince Charlie", defeats a Hanoverisc army at Falkirk in his ultimately unsuccessful campaign to recover the throne for the Jacobite dynasty.
- 1773 - Captain James Cook becomes the first explorer to cross the Antarctic Circle.
- 1781 - Continental troops under Brigadier General Daniel Morgan defeat British forces under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton at the Battle of Cowpens in South Carolina.
- 1819 - Simōn Bolīvar proclaims the Republic of Colombia.
- 1852 - Geānlǣht Cynerīce recognizes the independence of the Boer colonies of the Transvaal.
- 1873 - First Battle of the Stronghold in þǣm US Modoc War.
- 1885 - Bryttisc here defeats a large Dervish army at the Battle of Abu Klea in the Sudan.
- 1893 - Americanisc sugar planters led by the Citizen's Committee of Public Safety, mid þā U.S. Marine Corps underplantode Cƿēn Lili'uokalani and þone Cynerīce Haƿai'i.
- 1899 - Þā Geānlǣht rīcu takes possession of Wake Island in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1912 - Robert Falcon Scott reaches the South Pole, one month after Roald Amundsen.
- 1916 - The Professional Golfers Association (PGA) is formed.
- 1917 - Þā Geānlǣht Underrīcu pays Denemearce $25 million for the Virgin Islands.
- 1929 - Popeye se Scipfarend, cartūn lēasspellmann be Elzie Crisler Segar gescapen, ǣrost appeared in newspaper comic strips.
- 1945 - Sofiet forces capture the almost completely destroyed Polisc city of Warsaw.
- 1945 - The Nazis begin the evacuation of the Auschwitz concentration camp as Sofiet forces close in.
- 1945 - Sƿēonisc diplomat Raoul Wallenberg disappears in Ungerland while in Sofiet custody.
- 1946 - Se UN Security Council held his ǣrost mōt æt Ciricehūs in Lundene (Englaland).
- 1949 - The Goldbergs, the first sitcom on American television, airs.
- 1950 - The Great Brinks Robbery - 11 thieves steal more than $2 million from an armored car in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1966 - Simon and Garfunkel release their second album, Sounds of Silence, on Columbia Records.
- 1966 - A B-52 bomber collides with a KC-135 jet tanker over Spēonlande, dropping three 70-kiloton hydrogen bombs near the town of Palomares and another one into the sea.
- 1973 - Ferdinand Marcos becomes "Foresittend for Life" of the Philippines.
- 1975 - Bob Dylan releases Blood on the Tracks, often considered one of his best albums.
- 1977 - Convicted murderer Gary Gilmore is executed by a firing squad in Utah, ending a ten-year moratorium on the death penalty in þǣm Geānlǣhtan Underrīcum.
- 1985 - British Telecom announces the retirement of Britain's famous red telephone boxes.
- 1991 - Gulf War: Iraq fires 8 Scud missiles into Israel in an unsuccessful bid to provoke Israeli retaliation.
- 1991 - Harald V ƿierþ cyning Norþƿeges on the death of his father, Olav V.
- 1992 - Punk rock band Green Day releases their second full-length album, Kerplunk.
- 1995 - A magnitude 7.3 earthquake called "the Great Hanshin earthquake" occurrs near Kobe, Japan, causing great property damage and killing 6,433 people.
- 1996 - The Czech Republic applies for membership of the Europisc Gesamnung.
- 1998 - Paula Jones accuses Foresittend Bill Clinton of sexual harassment.
- 2002 - Se fyrbeorg Nyiragongo ūpāblǣƿþ in þǣm Folcrīcelicu Cyneƿīse Congolisc, and seteþ 400000 lēoda of.
Byrda[adiht | adiht fruman]
- 1405 - Gjergj Kastrioti - Skanderbeg, Leader of Albanian Army against the Turkisc Empire, with succes in 25 years, thus the pope named him Athleta Christi (protector of Crist)
- 1463 - Friedrich III, Saxon elector (d. 1525)
- 1504 - Pāpa Pius V (d. 1572)
- 1560 - Gaspard Bauhin, botanist (d. 1624)
- 1706 - Benjamin Franklin Americanisc writer, inventor, publisher, and ambassador (d. 1790)
- 1763 - John Jacob Astor, entrepreneur (d. 1848)
- 1820 - Anne Brontë, Bryttisc author (d. 1849)
- 1832 - Henry Martyn Baird, Americanisc historian and educationalist (d. 1906)
- 1860 - Douglas Hyde, Foresittend Īrlandes
- 1860 - Anton Chekhov, playwright (d. 1904)
- 1863 - David Lloyd George, Fyrmestscealc þæs Geānlǣhtan Cynerīces (d. 1945)
- 1867 - Carl Laemmle, film executive (d. 1939)
- 1871 - David Earl Beatty Britisc admiral (d. 1936)
- 1880 - Mack Sennett, director, producer (d. 1960)
- 1899 - Al Capone, gangster, nicknamed "Scarface" (d. 1947)
- 1899 - Nevil Shute, author (d. 1960)
- 1914 - William Stafford, poet and essayist (d. 1993)
- 1922 - Nicholas Katzenbach, politician
- 1922 - Betty White, actress
- 1926 - Moira Shearer, actress, dancer
- 1927 - Eartha Kitt, actress, sangestre
- 1928 - Jean Barraquē, composer (d. 1973)
- 1928 - Vidal Sassoon, cosmetologist
- 1929 - Jacques Plante, ice hockey star (d. 1986)
- 1931 - James Earl Jones, actor
- 1931 - Douglas Wilder, first elected African American governor of a U.S. state
- 1933 - Dalida, Frencisc sangere (d. 1987)
- 1933 - Shari Lewis, puppeteer (d. 1998)
- 1937 - Troy Donahue, actor
- 1939 - Maury Povich, talk show host
- 1942 - Muhammad Ali, boxer
- 1942 - Ulf Hoelscher, violinist
- 1944 - Françoise Hardy, Frencisc sangere
- 1948 - Davīð Oddsson, Forma Minister Īslandes
- 1949 - Andy Kaufman, comedian (d. 1984)
- 1955 - Steve Earle, musician
- 1956 - Paul Young, Englisc musician
- 1957 - Suzanne Danielle, Englisc actress
- 1962 - Jim Carrey, actor, comedian
- 1966 - Shabba Ranks, sangere
- 1969 - Lukas Moodysson, film director
- 1970 - Jeremy Roenick, Americanisc NHL star
- 1970 - James Wattana, Thai snooker player
- 1971 - Kid Rock, sangere
- 1974 - Ladan and Laleh Bijani, Iranian conjoined twin sisters (d. 2003)
- 1982 - Dwyane Wade, NBA basketball player
Dēaðas[adiht | adiht fruman]
- 1229 - Albert of Buxhoeveden (b. 1165)
- 1617 - Faust Vrancic, Croatisc inventor Parachute (b. 1551)
- 1751 - Tomaso Albinoni, Italianisc composer (b. 1671)
- 1826 - Juan Crisōstomo Arriaga, composer
- 1861 - Lola Montez, adventurer (b. 1821)
- 1886 - Amilcare Ponchielli, Italianisc composer (b. 1834)
- 1893 - Rutherford B. Hayes, 19a Foresittend þāra Geānlǣhtra Rīca (b. 1822)
- 1961 - Patrice Lumumba, Forma Minister þæs Folcrīcelicu Cyneƿīse Congolisc (b. 1925)
- 1964 - T.H. White, author (b. 1906)
- 1967 - Evelyn Nesbit, actress aka "The Girl In The Red Velvet Swing", (b. 1884)
- 1977 - Gary Gilmore, murderer (executed by firing squad) (b. 1940)
- 1991 - King Olav V Norþƿeges (b. 1903)
- 1994 - Helen Stephens, American sprinter
- 1996 - Amber Hagerman, kidnapping, murder victim (b. 1986)
- 1996 - Barbara Jordan, politician (b. 1936)
- 1997 - Clyde Tombaugh, astronomer (b. 1906)
- 2001 - Laurent-Desire Kabila, foresittend þæs Folcrīcelicu Cyneƿīse Congolisc (b. 1939)
- 2002 - Camilo Jose Cela, Spēonisc ƿrītere, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature 1989 (b. 1916)
- 2005 - Zhao Ziyang, reformist Premier of the People's Republic of China and General Secretary of the Communist Party of China
Symbeldagas and observances[adiht | adiht fruman]
- Ancient Latvia - Zirgu Diena observed
- Catholicism - Feast day of St. Anthony.
16 Æfterra Gēola - 18 Æfterra Gēola - 17 Gēolmōnaþ - 17 Solmōnaþ -- Getalu ealra daga
|Æfterra Gēola | Solmōnað | Hrēðmōnað | Ēastermōnað | Þrimilcemōnað | Sēarmōnað | Mǣdmōnað | Wēodmōnað | Hāligmōnað | Winterfylleð | Blōtmōnað | Gēolmōnað|