Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/27 Eastermonað
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
- Eugène Ferdinand Victor Delacroix 032 cropped.jpg
John Milton (requires undeletion)
- Statue of Lapu-Lapu in Mactan island, Philippines.jpg
Statue of Lapu-Lapu
|Freedom Dæg in South Africa||expand; Freedom Dæg (South Africa) is a stub|
|1296 – In the first battle of the First War of Scottish Independence, the English defeated the Scots near Dunbar, Scotland.||no footnotes|
|1521 – Filipino natives led by chieftain Lapu-Lapu (statue pictured) killed Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan and over forty Spanish soldiers at the Battle of Mactan.||unreferenced section|
|1565 – Conquistador Miguel López de Legazpi and 500 armed soldiers established the first Spanish settlement in the Philippines, Cebu.||both López and Cebu articles tagged refimprove|
|1650 – Wars of the Three Kingdoms: The Covenanters defeated an invading Royalist army at the Battle of Carbisdale near the village of Culrain, Scotland.||no footnotes|
|1667 – John Milton, blind and impoverished, sold the copyright of Paradise Lost for £10.||refimprove section|
|1805 – First Barbary War: U.S. Marines engaged forces of the Barbary Coast at the Battle of Derne in Tripoli, marking the first recorded land battle by the United States on foreign soil.||refimprove|
|1909 – After the government was restored following the 31 March Incident and the Adana massacre, Abdul Hamid II, the last Sultan of the Ottoman Empire to rule with absolute power, was overthrown by Mehmed V.||neither article that relates to this date (Abdul Hamid II, Mehmed V) is suitable|
|1992 – Betty Boothroyd became the first female Speaker of the British House of Commons.||refimprove|
|1993 – Members of the Zambia national football team were killed in a plane crash en route to play a 1994 World Cup qualifying match against Senegal.||original research|
|1994 – Nelson Mandela and the African National Congress won a landslide victory in the first non-racial elections in the history of South Africa.||expand|
- 1777 – American Revolutionary War: British Army regulars defeated Patriot militias in the Battle of Ridgefield, galvanizing resistance in the Connecticut Colony.
- 1865 – An explosion destroyed the steamboat Bysen:SS on the Mississippi River, killing an estimated 1,800 of the 2,400 passengers.
- 2005 – The Airbus A380, the largest passenger airliner in the world, made its maiden flight from Toulouse, France.
- 1522 – Italisc Geƿinn of 1521–1526: Herigas ætgædre of Ispanie and þæm Papan Rīcum fremmedon sige ofer Frenciscum and Veniciscum here æt þære Bicocca Beadƿe.
- 1810 – Ludwig van Beethoven (on biliþe) dyhte his "Bagatelle getæle 25 in A minor", se geƿeorc cenneþ man be naman "Für Elise", se is of his geƿeorcum ān on þæm gelufodostan.
- 1904 – Chris Ƿatson ƿeard se ǣrsta Forma Þegn of Australie fram þæm Australiscan Labour Party, and the ærsta Labour Party forma þegn in eallum middangearde.
- 1911 – Æfter þe forscrāh Ƿilliam P Frye, gecƿæþ ƿitan gesēm in þæm Geānlǣhtedan Rīca Senatus to ƿendenne ætƿeonum him þa scīr þæs Foresittendes for tīde þāra Geānlǣhtedan Rīca Senatus.
- 1967 –Expo 67 ƿorulde ceaapunggemōt opnede on Montreal, and 62 þēodas ƿæron hēr be spiliendum and |50 þūsenda þūsenda visitors cƿōm in his ylde.