Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/19 Winterfylleþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
Scipio Africanus of the Roman Republic
|Grundgesetnesdæg in Niue (1974);||stub|
|1469 – Ferdinand II of Aragon married Isabella I of Castile, a marriage that paved the way to the unification of Aragon and Castile into a single country, Spain.||Ferdinand has unreferenced section|
|1986 – President of Mozambique Samora Machel and 43 others were killed when his presidential aircraft crashed in the Lebombo Mountains just inside the border of South Africa.||unreferenced section, plane crash article needs more refs and has original research|
|1998 – The eco-terrorist group Earth Liberation Front set fire to the Vail Ski Resort in Vail, Colorado, US, causing US$12 million in damage.||Need to verify date, refimprove|
|2001 – SIEV X, an Indonesian fishing boat en route to Christmas Island carrying over 400 asylum seekers, sank in international waters, killing 353 of them.||needs more footnotes|
- 1781 – American Revolutionary War: British forces led by Lord Cornwallis officially surrendered to Franco-American forces under George Washington, ending the Siege of Yorktown.
- 1789 – John Jay was sworn in as the first Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1914 – First World War: Allied forces engaged German troops in the First Battle of Ypres.
- 1950 – The Chinese Army captured the town of Qamdo as part of China's plan to take control of Tibet.
- 1987 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by 22.6% on Black Monday, the largest one-day percentage decline in Dow Jones history.
- 2004 – Margaret Hassan Irisc aid ƿyrhta was abducted in Baghdad by unidentified kidnappers, who murdered her about four weeks later.
- 2005 – Hurricane Wilma became the most intense Atlantic hurricane on record with a minimum atmospheric pressure of 882 mbar.
- 202 BC – Publius Cornelius Scipio Rōmanisc gearcyning þære Rōmaniscan Cyneƿīsan, geƿonn micel sige ofer Hannibal and þæm Cartainaþēod æt Zama, and þes dǣd endeda seo Ōðru Punisc Gūþ.
- 1864 – Americanisc Ingefeoht: Oððæt ðe hiera manmyrring ƿæs ælmæst tƿāfealde sƿa sƿa þāra Geðoftedmanna, geƿonn se Gædes Here sige in þǣm Cedar Creek Fēohte.
- 1900 – Max Planck Germanisc physicist sƿutolede his lagu of sƿeartlic emission, a pioneer result of modern physics and quantum theory.
- 1943 – Streptomycin (þærof is molecular gelicnes ætyld), se ƿæs se ǣrresta antibiotic lǣcedōm for tuberculosis, ƿæs isolated by researchers at Rutgers Eormengylde.
- 1987 – Persea–Iracland Geƿinn: Se Geānedan Rīca Sciphere adiglede tƿegen Persiscu elestaðlas in þæm Persiscan Sǣsearme in andsƿaru to Persisc fȳrstycces onsæcc on Cuƿægtiscum elecnearre.