Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/15 Blōtmōnaþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
|1971 – Intel released the 4004 4-bit central processing unit, the world's first commercially available microprocessor, capable of executing approximately 60,000 instructions per second.||Refimprove, original research|
|1976 – René Lévesque and the Parti Québécois took power to become the first Quebec government of the 20th century that was clearly in favour of independence from Canada.||refimprove|
|1985 – Northern Ireland peace process: British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, and the Irish Taoiseach Garret FitzGerald signed the Anglo-Irish Agreement, giving the Irish Government an advisory role in Northern Ireland's government.||unreferenced section|
- 655 – Penda of Mercia was defeated by Oswiu of Northumbria at the Battle of the Winwaed in modern-day Yorkshire, England.
- 1688 – Prince William of Orange landed at Brixham in Devon, on his way to depose his father-in-law King James II, the last Catholic monarch of England.
- 1859 – Sponsored by businessman Evangelos Zappas, the first modern revival of the Olympic Games took place in Athens, Greece.
- 1889 – Brazilian Emperor Pedro II was overthrown in a coup led by Deodoro da Fonseca, and Brazil was proclaimed a republic.
- 1935 – The Commonwealth of the Philippines was officially established, with Manuel L. Quezon inaugurated as its president.
- 1943 – The Holocaust: Heinrich Himmler ordered that Romanies were to be put "on the same level as Jews and placed in concentration camps".
- 1968 – Vietnam War: American forces launched Operation Commando Hunt, a large-scale bombing campaign to prevent the People's Army of (North) Vietnam from transporting personnel and supplies along the Ho Chi Minh trail.
- 1983 – Turkish Cypriots on the northeastern portion of Cyprus declared the creation of a new state known as the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, which currently remains recognised only by Turkey.
- 655 – Oswiu Norþanhymbra Cyning ofsloh Pendan Mercna Cyning on Winwidfelda and þritig cynebearna mid him and þis stede is on Eoferwicscīre.
- 1864 – Americanisc Ingefēoht: Gædes Here William Tecumseh Sherman Heretoga þæs Gædes Here begann his "Fare to Brime", and þæron wrōhtede micel daru to bolde, crofte and geweorce on his paþ of Atlantan to Savannah on Georgie.
- 1943 – Eallbærnet: Heinrich Himmler het ofslean eall Gypsyfolc þe hie bēon efn mid Iudēas and drufen in dēaþwicum.
- 1988 –Buran Sofietisc rodorcræft, se man getimbrode æfter þe NASA's Space Shuttle program, beebbod on hiere ān fleohte and mannlēasum.
- 1988 – Yasser Arafat PLO heretoga proclaimed the creation of the State of Palestine as "the state of Palestinians wherever they may be".