Betwuxgeþéodlice bendas sind bendas fram gewrite in ánum Wicipǽdiangeþéode tó þǽm selfan intingan in óðerre Wicipǽdiansprǽce, betwéonan sprǽcfadungum Wiciwordbóce, and betwéonan sprǽcfadungum Wicicwides.
They appear at one or two edges of the webpage (in Monobook on the left, in Classic at the top and bottom) after Óðera sprǽca:, and scéawiaþ þá naman sprǽca for which a link is available. Interlanguage links look like external links, but the syntax is more like internal links. They are a form of interwiki links. See m:Meta:Interlanguage links for details on linking different languages on Meta.
Þá betwuxsprǽclican bendas habbaþ þone folgendan andwlitan:
- [[language code:Title]]
where the language code is the 2-letter code as per ISO 639. (See Complete list of language wikis available. Englisc is "ang", Níwe Englisc is "en", Þéodisc is "de", asf.) So for example in the article on Esperanto, which is available on a lot of other wikis, þá interlanguage links would look like so:
- [[de:Esperanto]] [[en:Esperanto]] [[es:Esperanto]] [[eo:Esperanto]] [[fr:Espéranto]] [[nl:Esperanto]] [[ja:エスペラント]] [[pl:Esperanto]] [[ro:Esperanto]] [[simple:Esperanto]]
Þás bendas are treated specially, and don't show up in the body of the text, but in a special header section "Óðera sprǽca:" listed by language name. They can go anywhere in the article source; they used to be placed at the top, however this was somewhat problematic — it was confusing for newbie editors, and the links often showed up in search results where one would have preferred to see body text. For this reason, it is required to put the language links at the bottom of the page, after external links, see also's, and categories. Placement does not alter the visual appearance of the links on the rendered page except for the order.
(Þu ne sceoldest geinnian þone bend tó þǽre sprǽce, in þǽre þu wrítst.)
Specifica sprǽca[ādihtan fruman]
Because Chinese has two versions (Simplified and Traditional), please take a few moments to read Wikipedia:Chinese interlanguage links to avoid unnecessary extra work to clean up the undesirable aftermath.
For a few other Wikipedia languages, there are lists of pages where links may be needed. For example, þæt Englisce gewrit hæbbe Spéoniscne bend, ac þæt corresponding Spanish gewrit might be missing a bend tó Englisce. Lists to work on include:
- Gif þu éac in Wicipǽdian in óðerre sprǽce wyrcst, þu wolde weardian lást níwa trameta þǽr and check for English articles on þǽm selfan subjects, swá þæt þu bend þǽræt heonon canst íecan.
- If you create a link to a Wikipedia that also has the interlanguage links available, please create a back-link in the other direction as well. It would also be good to copy any other interlanguage links on the two pages.
- Interlanguage links in talk pages and on Meta will appear inline in the text, like regular links, so you can cite other pages in discussion.
- In normal articles, an inline link can be made by prefixing an extra colon - e.g. [[:nl:Hond]] produces nl:Hond. This method should be used for linking to an article in another language which is not the corresponding article.
- An inline link to a Wiktionary entry, normally [[wikt:Juice|Juice]], can be directed to another language's Wiktionary like so: [[wikt:fr:Jus|Jus]].
Betwuxwici bendas[ādihtan fruman]
- Note that the syntax for interlanguage links differs slightly from that for linking to pages on other wikis, this concept being called InterWiki link.
- The full interwiki prefixes that can be used from many wikis are :en (Example: [[:en:InterWiki]] (formerly [[WikiPedia:InterWiki]]) to directly link to the English version and MetaWikiPedia (note the capitals!).
- Within Wikimedia you can also use "m" instead of MetaWikiPedia, and wiktionary and wikibooks (not wikiquote or wikisource).
Bendas to pages that do not exist[ādihtan fruman]
Links to pages on another wiki (including other Wikimedia sites) have a different color than links within the English Wikipedia. Unlike internal links, these links do not indicate whether the target page exists or not. If the target page does not exist, the link will take you to a blank page that has no content. This shows that an article about the subject is needed, but has not been written yet.
Gif þu finde ǽmtige betwuxgeþéodlice bendas in þǽm Engliscan Wicipǽdian, magon híe béon framgebróht, for þǽm þe híe nabbaþ word. It is strongly recommended that you create at least a stub tramet before adding interlanguage links to it. Later, interested people can translate the rest of the page content from the original language to the new one for which the link was made.
Note: if the language prefix is wrong it is considered part of the name of a page on the same wiki. Such an error is clear from how the link looks: as an internal link to a page that does or does not exist.
- Use the regular external link syntax (séo Wikipedia:How to edit a page) in þǽm folgendum cases:
- linking from languages for which the feature is not yet available;
- if you want to specify a text in the link in addition to the language, for example if the subjects of the articles do not quite correspond.
Depending on your browser, you may not be able to simply cut-n-paste the text of article names into the Latin1-based wikis (Englisc, Þéodisc, Frencisc, asf) from non-Latin1 wikis (Iapanisc, Esperantisc, Polisc, asf). In that case, you can copy the %XX hex codes from the URL, or use some external program to convert the Unicode text into numeric HTML entities (see Wikipedia:Scripts#Unicode_numeric_converter_scripts). Some web browsers (in particular newer versions of Internet Explorer) automatically convert cut-and-pasted Unicode into numeric HTML entities; this is not official HTML standard, and you will have to check by hand whether your browser does this or not.
- [[eo:Eŭropa Unio]] or [[eo:E%C5%ADropa Unio]] (Esperanto Eŭropa Unio; also X-system backwards compatibility, eg [[eo:Euxropa Unio]])
- [[pl:Wþǽmojna amerykańsko-meksykańska]] or [[pl:Wojna ameryka%C5%84sko-meksyka%C5%84ska]] (Polish Wojna amerykańsko-meksykańska; (also backwards compatibilty with Latin-2: [[pl:Wojna ameryka%F1sko-meksyka%F1ska]])
- [[ja:&19990;界の国]] oþþe [[ja:%E4%B8%96%E7%95%8C%E3%81%AE%E5%9B%BD]] (Japanese 世界の国; Unicode only)
If at some point this system becomes difficult to manage, a tool will be set up for conveniently updating the link sets between wikis to keep things consistent.