Ængliſh Orthography?[ādihtan fruman]
I þauȝt Ængliſh uſed ðe FULL rænge of ðe alphabet no longer uſed after printing mæde ðem unuſable? Shoudn't it be ðen more like:
) (ēac ƿriten ſƿā ƿen) is ſtæf ðǣre Engliſcan ſtæfrǣwe. Man brēac hine for ðǣm ſƿēge /
- Ƿynne brūceþ, þe cæn ƿēana lyt
- ſāres and ſorge ænd him ſylfa hæf
- blǣd and blyſse ænd eac byrga geniht.
- The long s, ſ, is not a letter in itself, just the way a lower case s is written at the start or in the middle of a word: it is not a separate letter. ȝ likewise is just the way a lower-case g was written: it did not exist as a separate letter until the Middle English period.
- The two letters þ and ð are interchangeable. They are separate letters but usage depends on the scribe. We have adopted a general practice here, that seems to approximate to actual usage, to use þ with þes, þæt etc and where the letter is unvoiced, and ð elsewhere, but that is just a local convention. I frequently mix and match.
- Æ is not the same as a: it is a wholly separate letter.
- Ƿ practically caused a civil war here, but we resolved it by agreeing to use "w" (which is authenticated in old documents) but to add the '[ gw ] [ ȝƿ ] [ ᚱᚢᚾ ]' tab at the top of each page so that you can view any page with ƿ (and ȝ) in place of w (and g) Hogweard (mōtung) 09:11, 10 Mǣdmōnaþ 2017 (UTC)
- Ƿ,ƿ ſhould ſtand everyƿhere "W,w" ſtood?
- "Inlaut-ſ" ſtænds everyƿhere "S,ſ,s" is neiðer GRÆT nor at ðe end(e) of a ƿord/part (cf. "hogshead", "Ƿorldesedge" - Ƿorlde-s-Edge - Ængliſc/Engliſh haven't mæny ƿords ƿhere "s" ſtænds inſide a ƿord...). Þere ðou ſeeſt ðat "ſh" or "ſc" is ſpoken like "to ſhed", but never "sh" - it is "hogs-head", not "hog-ſhead". Þerefore (Ðerefore) ðe long "Inlaut-ſ" is uſed.
- Æ,æ everyƿhere an a is no ſound like "Under", "An"
- Þ,þ,ð: þ&ð alƿays become Þ ƿhen ƿritten GRÆT (ðouȝ ſome mænner uſe "Ð" for a græt "ð").
- ð, næme is "eð", if voiced like ðe, ðere, ðæm...
- þ, næme is "þorn", voiceleſs - þorn-buſh, to þink,...
- Yoȝ for "gh" if it's not like "hoghead" - "I þouȝt"...
--188.8.131.52 21:51, 8 Mǣdmōnaþ 2017 (UTC)