Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/3 Blōtmōnaþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
|Independence Day in Dominica (1978), the Federated States of Micronesia (1986) and Panama (1903);||Dominica: expansion; Micronesia: refimprove; Panama: neutrality problems|
|1793 – French playwright, journalist and outspoken feminist Olympe de Gouges was guillotined for her revolutionary ideas.||unreferenced section|
|1848 – A new constitution drafted by Johan Rudolph Thorbecke was proclaimed, severely limiting the powers of the Monarchy of the Netherlands.||Constitution: no footnotes, needs expert attention; Thorbecke has no footnotes|
|1887 – The Coimbra Academic Association, Portugal's oldest students' union, was founded at the University of Coimbra in Coimbra.||refimprove section|
|1918 – The German Revolution began when forty thousand sailors took over the port of Kiel.||Revolution needs more footnotes; Kiel mutiny needs more refs|
|1954 - The original Godzilla film was first released.|
|1971 – The Unix Programmer's Manual was first published.||refimprove|
|1991 – The paramilitary death squad Grupo Colina massacred at least fifteen people in the Barrios Altos neighborhood of Lima, Peru.||needs more footnotes|
- 1812 – French invasion of Russia: As Napoleon's Grande Armée began its retreat, its rear guard was defeated at the Battle of Vyazma.
- 1935 – Almost 98% of the reported votes in a Greek plebiscite supported the restoration of George II as King of the Hellenes.
- 1942 – World War II: U.S. Marines and U.S. Army forces began an attempt to encircle and destroy a regiment of Imperial Japanese Army troops on Guadalcanal. * 1948 – The Chicago Tribune sƿutolede þā hēafodlīne "Dewey Defeats Truman" (seo is ‘Dewey hæfþ sige ofer Truman’) in error in þæs tīdungscītes ærlicum mearƿe edition scorte æfter incumbent U.S. President Harry S. Truman (pictured) officially upset the heavily favored Governor of New York Thomas Dewey in the U.S. presidential election.
- 1954 – The first film featuring the giant monster known as Godzilla, was released.
- 1956 – Onmiddan þæm Suez Crisis, during an invasion of the Gaza Strip, Israelisc fēðan shot dead hundreds of Palestinian refugees and local inhabitants in Khan Yunis.
- 1967 – Vietnam War: A series of major engagements that were some of the hardest-fought and bloodiest battles of the war began at Đắk Tô in the Central Highlands of Vietnam.
- 1969 – U.S. President Richard Nixon made a plea to the "silent majority", referring to those Americans who did not join in the large demonstrations against the Vietnam War at the time.
- 1996 – Abdullah Çatlı, a drug trafficker, a contract killer, and a leader of the ultra-nationalist Nationalist Movement Party, was killed in a car crash near Susurluk, Balıkesir Province, Turkey, sparking the Susurluk scandal which exposed the depth of the state's complicity in organized crime.
- 2007 – Pakistani President and Chief of Army Staff Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency across Pakistan, suspending the Pakistani Constitution.
- 644 – Umar, se ōþra Æfterfolgend ('Caliph') æfter Mahometes dēað, acƿeall ðan hine þurhstang Pirouz Nahavandi, Persisc þēoƿ.
- 1838 – The Times of India, se is todæg þisre ƿorulde mǣste geƿīdmǣrsoda Nīƿenglisca dæglica brādscīte tīdungscīte, ƿæs astaðoled be naman The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce.
- 1935 – Ælmæst 98% þāra gebōcedra cystum in folccyre on Crēcaþēode acƿæþ þe Georgius II biþ edstaþoled sƿa Crēaca Cyning.
- 1957 – Sēo Sofiet Gesamnung asendede Sputnik 2 rodorcræft, se bār Laika se Russisca "rodorhund" and þis ƿæs se fyrsta libbenda dēor of Eorþ þe gan in hƿyrfte.
- 1979 – Fīf gegyldan þæs Communist Ƿyrhtan Flocc ƿæron ofsceoten and geslēan be gegyldum þæs Ku Klux Klan and þæs Americaniscan Natsi Flocc hƿīlum hie iƿerneden hiere ƿiþspræc in Greensboro on Norþcaroline.