Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/12 Sēremōnaþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
- DBP 1979 1013 Anne Frank.jpg
|Independence Day in the Philippines;||refimprove|
|1964 – Nelson Mandela and other leaders of the African National Congress were found guilty for sabotaging the apartheid system in South Africa.||refimprove, and Mandela is featured on February 11|
|1994 – Former American football star O. J. Simpson allegedly murdered his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson.||Featured on June 17, date of Simpson's low-speed chase|
- 1864 – Union General Ulysses S. Grant pulled his troops out of the Battle of Cold Harbor in Hanover County, Virginia, ending one of the bloodiest, most lopsided battles in the American Civil War.
- 1899 – The New Richmond tornado killed 117 people and injured 125 others in the northern Great Plains of the United States.
- 1942 – On her thirteenth birthday, Anne Frank began keeping her diary during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands.
- 1954 – Pius XII Pāpa canonised Dominic Savio, who was 14 years old when he died, to make him the youngest non-martyr saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1963 – African American civil rights activist Medgar Evers was murdered by Ku Klux Klan member Byron De La Beckwith.
- 1967 – The U.S. Supreme Court delivered its decision in the landmark civil rights case Loving v. Virginia, striking down laws restricting interracial marriage in the United States.
- 1978 – American serial killer David Berkowitz was sentenced to 365 years in prison for six killings.
- 1987 – Cold War: During a speech at Berlin's Brandenburg Gate by the Berlin Wall, U.S. President Ronald Reagan challenged Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!"
- 1991 – Members of the Sri Lankan military massacred over 150 Sri Lankan Tamil civilians in the village of Kokkadichcholai near the eastern province town of Batticaloa.
- 1994 – The Boeing 777, the world's largest twinjet, made its first flight.
- 2001 – Robert Edward Dyer was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment for conducting a six-month long letter bomb campaign against the British supermarket chain Tesco.
- 1381 – Sēo forma miclu oncƿeðung in þæm Ceorla Folcslite begann in Blæchæþ on Cent, þæræt spræc Iohannes Ball Lollard prēost and þære ascode he þæt gemang, "Þa Adam delfde and Eve spann, hƿā ƿæs þan se eorl?"
- 1776 – Sēo Fifta Uirginia Gemitting genām þæt Uirginia Rihtgeban, þæt ƿæs felainƿeorcend geƿrit se bannede manna ingeboren rihting.
- 1889 – Flēaminge bigengena ƿægnas cnyssedon ƿiþ folgend toge nēah Ardmaha on Ardmahascīre, and cƿeallon 80 menn.
- 1999 – Æfter þæm lyftonƿinn ƿiþ Iugoslafie and þæm Kosovo Geƿinne, infōr se NATO-læd Kosovo Þrēat ( þærof is Germanie byrneƿægnes gelicnes hēr ) Kosovo mid mandate þe hie gebeorgen þone folc in þæm landscipe.
- 2010 – Siexetieneƿinterield Abby Sunderland ƿæs gehred æfter þe hiere bāt losed his mæst in þæm Indiscan Gārsecge hƿīlan hie seglode þe hēo bīþ se iengsta scipere seglan ymbe middangearde.