Jump to navigation Jump to search
Getæl nīwra worda and earfoðra worda[ādihtan fruman]
DO NOT DELETE THIS SECTION
Note that in this list: "ȝ"=IPA "j", "ċ"=IPA "t͡ʃ", "sċ"=IPA "ʃ", and "ċȝ"=IPA "d͡ːʒ".
Note that etymologies or rationales for the Old English neologisms should be put after the Modern English translation in square brackets, like so:
Abbreviations used are: sm/sn/sf = strong masculine/neuter/feminine; wm/wn/wf = weak masculine/neuter/feminine; indecm/indecn/indecf = indeclinable masculine/neuter/feminine; w-dec. = w-declension; u-dec. = u declension; i-mut. = i-mutated; pl. = plural; aj = adjective; desc. = modifier for a noun (a "describer") other than an adjective; av = adverb; w1/w2/w3 = weak verb class; s1/s2/.../s7b = strong verb class.
- botmbānlēas (aj) fugol (sm) - ratite [botm - "bottom"+bān - "bone"+productive adjectival suffix -lēas - "-less"+fugol - "bird"]
- fiðerlēasere (sm) - kiwi [calque of "apteryx", Scientific Latin name]
- kiwifugol (sm) - kiwi [borrowing from Maori "kiwi", with fugol - "bird" at end]
- Nīwenglisċ (aj) - Modern English [calque of "Modern English"]
- Nīwe (aj) Sǣland (sn) - New Zealand [calque of "New Zealand"]
- þēodnama (wm) - name for a nation ["nation name"]