Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/8 Gēolmōnaþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
|Constitution Day in Romania (1991);||refimprove|
|395 – The state of Later Yan was defeated by its former vassal Northern Wei at the Battle of Canhe Slope.||refimprove section|
|1609 – Milan's Biblioteca Ambrosiana opened its reading room to the public, becoming the second public library in Europe.||refimprove section|
|1912 – Leaders of the German Empire held an Imperial War Council to discuss the possibility that war might break out.||unreferenced section|
|1927 – The Brookings Institution, one of the United States' oldest think tanks, was founded through the merger of three separate organizations established by Robert S. Brookings.||refimprove section|
|1993 – Leaders of Canada, Mexico, and the United States signed the final agreements of the North American Free Trade Agreement, forming a regional trade bloc.||multiple issues|
|2004 – Twelve South American countries signed the Cusco Declaration, announcing the foundation of what is now the Union of South American Nations, an intergovernmental union modelled after the European Union.||refimprove section|
|2010 – The Japanese experimental spacecraft IKAROS passed by Venus at about 80,800 km distance, completing its planned mission to demonstrate solar sail technology.||outdated|
- 1432 – The first battle of the Lithuanian Civil War between the forces of Švitrigaila and Sigismund Kęstutaitis was fought near the modern town of Ashmyany.
- 1854 – In his apostolic constitution Ineffabilis Deus, Pope Pius IX (pictured) proclaimed the dogmatic definition of the Immaculate Conception, which holds that the Virgin Mary was conceived free of original sin.
- 1941 – Second World War: Led by Takashi Sakai, the Imperial Japanese Army invaded Hong Kong and quickly achieved air superiority by bombing Kai Tak Airport.
- 1980 – Former Beatle John Lennon was shot and killed in the entrance of the Dakota apartments in New York City.
- 1987 – A man shot and killed eight people at the Australia Post building in Melbourne, before jumping to his death.
- 1991 – Leaders of Belarus, Russia and Ukraine signed the Belavezha Accords, agreeing to dissolve the Soviet Union and establish the Commonwealth of Independent States.
- 1998 – The Australian Cricket Board's cover-up of Shane Warne and Mark Waugh's involvement with bookmakers was revealed.
- 2009 – Bombings carried out by the Islamic State of Iraq in Baghdad, Iraq, killed 127 and injured 448.
- 1941 – Eallbærnet: Her begann Chełmno se Dēaþsteal in þæm oferþrycceden Polaland, se wæs se ærresta swylce Natsi ætsteal to cwellene Iudeas þæs Ghetto Litzmannstadt and in þæm Warthegau be ætorlyft cluster.
- 1963 – Æfter þe hit wæs be ligte astricen in a healdfleohte, feall Pan Am Flight 214 nēah Elkton, Marialand, and eall þara menn abord steafon þa wæron 81 be getæl.
- 1987 – Arab–Israhelisc gūð: Israhelisc heres cempwægnberend slog feower Palestinisc fliemedas and deraþ seofen during a traffic accident at the Erez Crossing on the Israel–Gaza Strip border, and þis þing ongann se Forma Intifada.
- 2010 – IKAROS Iapanisc experimental rodorcræft passed by Uenus æt about 80,800 km faroþ, completing its planned mission to demonstrate sunnesegl cræft.