Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/31 Þrimilcemōnaþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
|1889 – The South Fork Dam near Johnstown, Pennsylvania, failed, unleashing a torrent of 18.1 million cubic meters (4.8 billion gallons) of water that killed over 2,200 people.||unreferenced section, refimprove section|
|1910 – The previously separate colonies of the Cape, Natal, Transvaal and the Orange Free State united to form the Union of South Africa, exactly 51 years before it would become the Republic of South Africa.||no footnotes|
|1916 – The German Kaiserliche Marine and British Royal Navy clashed in the Battle of Jutland, the largest naval battle of the First World War.||refimprove section|
|1970 – The Ancash earthquake devastated various coastal towns in Peru and resulted in a massive avalanche on the north side of Nevado Huascarán, burying the town of Yungay.||refimprove, stubby|
- 1279 BC – Ramesses II became Pharaoh of Egypt.
- 1862 – American Civil War: Confederate forces under Joseph E. Johnston and G. W. Smith engaged Union forces under George B. McClellan at the Battle of Seven Pines outside Richmond, Virginia.
- 1921 – A large-scale race riot began in Tulsa, Oklahoma, US, in which the wealthiest African-American community in the United States, the Greenwood District, was destroyed by fire.
- 2009 – American physician George Tiller, who was nationally known for being one of the few doctors in the United States to perform late-term abortions, was shot and killed by Scott Roeder, an anti-abortion activist.
- 2010 – During an attempt to break the ongoing blockade of the Gaza Strip, the Israeli Navy engaged in armed conflict with the crew of the Bysen:MV, resulting in nine civilian deaths.
- 1223 – Mongolfare: Mongol þrēat ƿæs sigeful ƿiþ ānlæhtedum here of Cænugearde, Galichum, and Cumanum æt Calca Ēa seo is todæg in Ucrægnan ƿongum.
- 1669 – Forþæm þe he ƿæs healfblind ƿrāt Samuel Pepys ( þæs gelicnes is hēr ) his endmesta geƿrit in his dægbēc. He ƿæs þegn þæs Engliscan Cynelica Scipheres geþingþe and Gegylda þæs Ƿitenagemōtes, and his dægbōc is micel ƿielle þære stære þære Edgiftylde.
- 1935 – Eorþstyre æt 7.7 Mw micelnesse slōg Balocistan in þæm Indiscan Rīce, and acƿeall 30,000 oððe 60,000 menn.
- 1941 – Bretƿare fulfremmedon hiera eftonsetnesse of Iraclande, returning 'Abd al-Ilah to rīce sƿa spela for Faisal II Cyning.
- 1981 – Folcgeþrang of burgƿeardesmannum and ƿæpnedum floccum begann bærnet þæs public bōcærnes in Jaffna on Taprobane, and hie adigloden over 97,000 þing in one of the most violent examples of ethnic Bōcbærnet of the 20th century.