Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/9 Winterfylleþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
- Mary Tudor and Charles Brandon cropped.jpg
|1237 – Iacobus I Aragon Cyning cƿōm in Ualencie and staðolede Ualencia þæt Rīce.|
|1635 – Roger Williams adrāf man of Massachusetts Byht Landbūnesse as a religious dissident after he spoke out against punishments for religious offenses and giving away Scrælinga land.|
|1708 – Great Northern War: Russia defeated Sweden at the Battle of Lesnaya on the Russian–Polish border in present-day Belarus.||needs more footnotes|
|1740 – Caused by fears of a revolution and mutual suspicion, Dutch and native groups massacre 10,000 of the ethnic Chinese population of Batavia, Dutch East Indies, leading to a widespread war against the Dutch in Java.|
- 1446 – Scholars in the court of Sejong the Great promulgated the new Korean alphabet, now known as Hangul.
- 1514 – Mary Tudor, sister of Henry VIII of England, became queen consort of France.
- 1845 – Anglican priest John Henry Newman left the Church of England and was formally received into the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1874 – The Universal Postal Union, then known as the General Postal Union, was established with the signing of the Treaty of Bern to unify disparate postal services and regulations so that international mail could be exchanged freely.
- 1888 – The Washington Monument in Washington, D.C., at the time the world's tallest building, officially opened to the general public.
- 1913 – The ocean liner Bysen:SS caught fire in the middle of a gale in the North Atlantic, burned, and sank, resulting in about 130 deaths.
- 1919 – In Major League Baseball, the Cincinnati Reds won the World Series, five games to three, over the Chicago White Sox, whose players were later found to have lost intentionally.
- 1963 – A landslide displaced large amounts of water from the Vajont Dam in northern Italy, causing waves and floods that quickly swept away several villages and killed almost 2,000 people.
- 1970 – Seo Khmer Cyneƿīse, þære bregas ƿæron Lon Nol Heretoga and Sisowath Sirik Matak Æþeling, gebannede man on Cambodie.
- 1983 – Chun Doo-hwan Foresittend of Sūþcorēan alibbede assassination attempt in Rangoone se is on Burman.
- 1701 – Seo Gefealuscipes Scōl of Connecticut, seo æfterƿeard fōn þone naman Yale Eormengyld, fōn hiere bōc in Eald Saybrook, Connecticut.
- 1831 – Ioannis Kapodistrias, se Crēciscs rīceshēafod, slōg man in Nauplion.
- 1942 – Ōðru Ƿoruldgūþ: Americanisc þrēat hæfde sige ofer Iapanƿarum æt sæcce on Matanikau se is on Guadalcanal þære īege on þæm Salomonīegum, and þærin avenging þæs Iapanfolces sige fore tƿǣm ƿucum.
- 1986 – The Phantom of the Opera, a scopsangpleg be Andrew Lloyd Webber (on biliðe) opnede in Lundnes Ƿestende.
- 2006 – Norþcorēa fremmede cyneƿæpen test, sƿa secgþ man, nēah Kilchu, mid byrstes force of læs þon ān kiloton.