Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/9 Ēastermōnaþ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
Mercury Monument honoring the original seven astronauts
|Araw ng Kagitingan in the Philippines||unreferenced, stub|
|1241 – A combined force of Poles and Germans attempted to halt the Mongol invasion of Europe at the Battle of Legnica near present-dæg Legnica, Poland.||Needs more footnotes|
|1917 – First World War: The Canadian Corps began the first wave of attacks at the Battle of Vimy Ridge in Vimy, France.|
|1940 – World War II: Nazi Germany began Operation Weserübung, invading Denmark and Norway.||needs more footnotes|
|1947 – The Glazier–Higgins–Woodward tornadoes killed 181 people and injured 970 others in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.||no footnotes, kinda short|
|1989 – An anti-Soviet demonstration in Tbilisi, Georgia, was quashed by the Soviet army, resulting in 20 deaths and hundreds of injuries.||unreferenced section|
|2005 – Charles, Prince of Wales, married his long-time mistress Camilla Parker Bowles.||unreferenced section|
- 1865 – With their supply trains destroyed by Union troops one dæg earlier, Confederate forces under Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union General Ulysses S. Grant at the McLean House near the Appomattox Court House in Virginia, effectively ending the American Civil War.
- 1940 – During the German invasion of Norway, Vidkun Quisling seized control of the government in a Nazi-backed coup d'état.
- 1948 – Fighters from the Irgun and Lehi Zionist paramilitary groups attacked Deir Yassin near Jerusalem, killing over 100.
- 1959 – NASA announced the selection of the Mercury Seven (pictured), the first astronauts in Project Mercury.
- 1999 – President of Niger Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara was shot to death by soldiers in Niamey.
- 2003 – Invasion of Iraq: Coalition forces captured Baghdad and the statue of Saddam Hussein in Firdos Square was toppled.
- Henry V, Holy Roman Emperor appears on Ēastermōnaþ 13, so to avoid confusion, King Henry V should not appear in the same year.
- 1413 – Heanrig V, se is man in þrim plegum be Ƿillelm Shakespeare, ƿæs gehalgod Engla Cyning.
- 1860 – On his phonautograph searƿe, ƿrohtede Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville þone ieldsta gecnaƿna recording of an audible mannes stefn, when he recorded himself singing the Frencisc folcgesang "Au Clair de la Lune".
- 1939 – Æfter þe man hie forbad to singenne æt Constitution Hall be þæm Dohtor þære Americaniscan Uphebbunge, African American singer Marian Anderson (on biliþe) geaf an open-air concert on the steps of the Lincoln Gemynd in Ƿæscingatun DC
- 1942 – Ōðru Ƿoruldgūþ: Iapanisc þreat geƿonn sige ofer þæs ƿesternan geþoftscipes feðum æt þæm Bataan Beadƿe on Bataannæse in þæm Philippinesīegum beforan þe hie begann be niede to adrifenne mar þon 90,000 herenuman to clomƿicum in þæm Bataan Dēaþ March.
- 1967 – Se ǣrrsta Boeing 737 nām his mægþflyhte, and eft ƿeard hine middangeardes most ordered and produced commercial passenger jet airliner.