Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/6 Eastermonað
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
|Tartan Dæg||refimprove section|
|1782 – Rama I succeeded King Taksin of Siam, founding the Chakri Dynasty.||refimprove|
|1830 – Joseph Smith, Jr., Oliver Cowdery, David Whitmer and others formally organized the Church of Christ, starting the Latter Dæg Saint movement.||refimprove section|
|1941 – World War II: The Axis Powers began both Operation Marita and Directive n. 25, invading Greece and Yugoslavia, respectively.||Invasion of Yugoslavia has empty section|
|1994 – The airplane carrying Rwandan President Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian President Cyprien Ntaryamira was shot down as it prepared to land in Kigali, Rwanda, marking the beginning of the Rwandan Genocide.||refimprove section|
- 1580 – One of the largest earthquakes in the recorded history of England, Flanders and Northern France struck the region.
- 1652 – Dutch sailor Jan van Riebeeck established the first permanent European settlement in South Africa at what eventually became known as Cape Town.
- 1776 – American Revolutionary War: Ships of the Continental Navy unsuccessfully attempted to capture HMS Glasgow (1757-6) near Block Island.
- 1793 – French Revolution: The Committee of Public Safety was established, and would become the de facto executive government during the forthcoming Reign of Terror.
- 1808 – John Jacob Astor founded the American Fur Company, the profits from which would make him the United States' first multi-millionaire.
- 1866 – The Grand Army of the Republic, a fraternal organization composed of veterans of the Union Army who had served in the American Civil War, was founded in Decatur, Illinois.
- 1886 – Vancouver, one of British Columbia's youngest cities, was incorporated.
- 1893 – The Salt Lake Temple is dedicated in Salt Lake City.
- 1896 – The first modern Olympic Games opened in Athens, with 241 athletes from 14 nations participating in 43 events in nine disciplines.
- 2009 – A 6.3 Mw earthquake struck the region of Abruzzo in central Italy (damage pictured), killing 308 people and injuring more than 1,500 others.
- 2010 – Rebels from the Communist Party of India (Maoist) ambushed a Central Reserve Police Force convoy in Dantewada district, India, killing 76 CRPF officers.
6. dæg Eastermonðes:
- 1250 – Seofenþa Fare: Ægyptisc Ayyubids adigledon þone Cristena here and afang Hloðƿig IX Francena Cyning as foregīsel.
- 1320 – Se Aberbroþoc Gebann, þærbe sƿutolded Scottena dryhtnas hiere rīces sundorhād.
- 1812 – Næsgūþ: Æfter þreo-ƿuculang besetnesse, onbrāc se Bryttisc and Portugalisc Here, under þæm Eorl of Wellington (on biliþe), Badajoz on Ispanie and be niede geƿunnen þara Frenciscan castelmanna handgang.
- 1947 – Þa ǣrrsta Tony Awards, recognizing achievement in live Americaniscum plegcræfte, ƿæron handed out at the Ƿaldorf-Astoria Inne in Nīƿeoforƿīcbyrig.
- 2008 – Ægyptisc ƿyrhtan dydon ǣrlēas gemæne ungeƿeorc, tƿegen dagas beforan burgƿeardena ceosunge.