Wikipǣdia:Gecorene gemynddagas/17 Sēremōnaþ
Bryce AN biliþ on ælc cyrre
CA NDP 2004 Logo.png
New Democratic Party of Canada's bilingual logo
Iceland flag large.png
Flag of Iceland
|Icelandic National Day||no footnotes|
|1789 – French Revolution: The Third Estate of France declared itself the National Assembly.||original research|
|1953 – The Group of Soviet Forces in Germany and the Volkspolizei violently suppressed an uprising in Berlin against the East German government.||requires expansion|
|1961 – Canada's New Democratic Party was founded with the merger of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation and organised labour.||refimprove section|
|1963 – The Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Abington School District v. Schempp that school-sponsored Bible reading in U.S. public schools is unconstitutional.||citations missing|
|1987 – "Orange Band", the last Dusky Seaside Sparrow, died.||tagged as stub|
- 1579 – Explorer Francis Drake landed in a region of present-day California, naming it New Albion and claiming it for England.
- 1775 – American Revolutionary War: British forces took Bunker Hill outside of Boston.
- 1930 – U.S. President Herbert Hoover signed the Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act into law, raising tariffs on over 20,000 imported goods to record levels.
- 1972 – Five men were arrested for attempted burglary on the offices of the Democratic National Committee in the Watergate complex in Washington, D.C., igniting the Watergate scandal that ultimately led to the resignation of U.S. President Richard Nixon more than two years later.
- 1982 – The body of Italian banker Roberto Calvi, known as "God's Banker" due to his close association with the Vatican, was found hanging from scaffolding beneath London's Blackfriars Bridge.
- 1994 – Following a police chase along Los Angeles freeways and a failed suicide attempt, actor and former American football player O. J. Simpson was arrested for the murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.
- 1462 – Þreat þærof wæs Vlad III Dracula Wallachie þēoden (on biliþe) onsæcede Oþomanisc herewic æt niht þe hie meahtan slean Mehmed II.
- 1631 – Mumtaz Mahal, seo wæs cwēn þæs Mughal casere Sciah Geahan, died in cildbirth and Geahan spent þa niehstan seofentiene gearas constructing her mausoleum, the Taj Mahal.
- 1861 – Americanisce Ingefeoht: The Battle of Vienna, Virginia, took place, which involved one of the earliest military movements of troops by train in the world.
- 1963 – Ymbe 2,000 menn rioted in Sūþfietnam, despite the signing of the Joint Communique to resolve the ongoing Buddhist crisis one day earlier.
- 1991 – The Sūþaffricanisca Witenagemōt tōwendeda þā Population Registration Act, þā bæde þe ælce oneardiend of Sūþaffrican biþ awiten in nambēc be cynne se wæs part of the system of asundrodnesse on þǣm lande.