This name has been discussed elsewhere at length. Do not make a unilateral change without discussing it wih the wider editor community.
Bosworth & Toller has "Cynerice" and "Cynedom", but the meanings are different; Cynedom is sovereignty or kingly authority. Cynerice is the realm itself, which is the meaning here. The texts bear it out (many quoted in B&T).
Also nowhere in any text does it have a "yogh" for the capital in "Geanlæht"; it is consistently a "G".
Hogweard 17:44, 18 Gēolmōnaþ 2008 (UTC)
- Fine, keep Cynerīce, but Ȝ was only a visual variant of the letter G, just like the strange typewriter g is only a variant of our current letter g, just like v was only a variant of u, just like j was only a variant of i. Also, remember that our current letter g was imported from the French, so if anything, replacing ALL g's with ȝ's would be more accurate... but then again what people care about accuracy that insist upon using W? —Ƿōdenhelm 18:52, 18 Gēolmōnaþ 2008 (UTC)
- Aye, you're right that ȝ comes from the pre-Norman English form of the lower-case g, inherited from Irish handwriting. As you say, g was the continental form, which caused the split of g into ȝ for [j] and g for [g] or [dʒ]. The capital G was consistent throughout, until of course Middle English needed a Capital Ȝ because of that split.
- It's really a font choice question then, on yogh and wen. I will look at whether we can get an alternative font at least as an option on ang.wikipedia. If we can that way we can all be happy.
- Hogweard 19:52, 18 Gēolmōnaþ 2008 (UTC)
- Let's both see if there's any humanly way to contact some of the high-level Wiki bureaucrats and find out if the alphabetical order on this Wiki can be adjusted so that it honors G and Ȝ equally. I have a feeling it wont be easy, but, it's worth a shot. —Ƿōdenhelm 19:58, 18 Gēolmōnaþ 2008 (UTC)
After all that, I spotted that it should have a weak form adjective. Hogweard 14:01, 11 Se Æfterra Gēola 2009 (UTC)
Ȝeānede Cynerīċe[ādihtan fruman]
Mē þynċþ se nama sceal Ȝeānede Cynerīċe bēon, ȝelīċ on:
- Þēodsce Vereinigtes Königreich
- Affricanisce Verenigde Koninkryk
- Bæȝerisce Vaeinigts Kinireich
- Limburgisce Vereineg Keuninkriek
- Þūdsce/Niðerlendisce Verenigd Koninkrijk
- Niðerseaxisce Verienigd Keuninkriek
- Niðerþēodsce Vereenigt Königriek
- Sealterisce Fereeniged Köönichriek
- Ƿestflemisce Verênigd Keunienkryk
- Sǣlendisce Vereênigd Konienkriek
Sƿā eall habbaþ ān for hiera staðolƿordum in "United".
- Nis hit me hefig. Bu word mænaþ "united". Do swa þu wilt be þissum. Willcume ic þec on míne brúcendsídan! 08:03, 23 Þrimilcemōnaþ 2010 (UTC)
- Min geþanc is þe "Þæt Geānede Cynerīce" hit geriseþ. Geald ceann mann mid deopum foreþance ymbe urum gereorde teallan us. Hogweard 21:22, 23 Þrimilcemōnaþ 2010 (UTC)
- Two people for it and one who doesn't mind either way... We sind þa menn mid foreþancum ymb Englisc. Feawa oðra leoda þencaþ be him. Willcume ic þec on míne brúcendsídan! 08:26, 24 Þrimilcemōnaþ 2010 (UTC)